Click here to print

Young Cards hold on for impressive victory

Alan Barnes - 8th November 2013
Cambridge United 2 Woking 3
FA Youth Cup 1st Round
7th November 2013

The handful of Woking fans present were on cloud nine just three minutes into the match. Goals from Matt Connor and a lob from the halfway line from Warren Gibson put the visitors firmly in control and left the home team stunned. Firstly, Connor found himself clear in the penalty area and showed great composure to slot home. Before Cambridge had time to recover, Gibson put a high ball into the six-yard area from distance. Banthorpe, the home 'keeper, totally misjudged the flight of the ball and it ended up in the back of the net to give the Young Cards a dream start.

Much of the remainder of the half saw United in control as they pushed Woking back towards their own goal. Most of their success came down the flanks and they had several chances to force their way back into the game. Alex Harris in the Woking goal made four good saves to keep them at bay. Scott also miskicked for the home side when well placed. After thirty-three minutes, however, the home side pulled a goal back. Alex Harris made another good stop but the loose ball ran to Javan Scott who slotted it home to reduce the deficit.

The visitors powered back and right on half-time they landed the killer blow when Addison Bray worked an opening on the edge of the box and his shot found the right hand corner of the net to restore the visitors' two goal advantage.

Half-time: Cambridge United 1 Woking 3

The second period was a much more scrappy affair as the young Cards broke up the play effectively. They also came more into the game as an attacking force. Alex Harris in the Woking goal also continued to keep the hosts at bay. Jake Gill hit a firm shot which came back off the bar with the home 'keeper well beaten. The only goal of the half arrived when a home forward was fouled in the penalty area and the United captain George Coy swept the penalty into the net. Despite making three substitutions as time ebbed away, Cambridge were unable to break through the Woking rearguard again.

This was an excellent result for the young Woking team. They now have the juicy prospect of a home tie against Crawley Town, on a date to be confirmed, with the reward for the winners being a home match in the third round against Watford.

Why not come down to Kingfield to cheer on our exciting youngsters as they bid to make further progress in this prestigious tournament.

Woking: Alex Harris, Warren Gibson, Mason Welch-Turner, Bradley Breech, Dan Bedford, Ed Young, Reece Placio (Carlos Anderson 35), Jake Gill, Matt Connor, Addison Bray, Charlie Carter.