Woking News & Mail
7:45pm - TuesdayTue 23rd FebruaryFeb 2016
Blundell Park | Att: 2874

Grimsby Town
3 - 1


Cards face tough trip

Brian Caffarey
1:36pm, Sun 21st Feb 2016
Grimsby Town v Woking
Vanarama National League
7.45pm on Tuesday 23 February 2016

On Tuesday the Cards make the first of their consecutive trips to Cleethorpes to take on high-flying Grimsby Town, who will be very keen to grab all three points as they seek to cement their place in the play-offs. The Cards, well beaten by Bromley on Saturday, will have to discover some improved form if they are to get anything out of this game.


The Cards’ defeat at Bromley stretched their winless run in the league to five games, with a haul of only two points out of fifteen effectively ending any hope of making the play-offs. A reshuffled defence looked porous, not helped by a midfield that failed too often to get the tackles in. But for the excellent Jake Cole the scoreline would have been more emphatic.

To add to Garry’s woes, striker Sam Smith, brought in to replace the injured Shaun Jeffers, was himself injured early on his debut and, towards the end, Brian Saah limped off. More reshuffling of the defence will no doubt be needed on Tuesday.


The Mariners are now in their sixth season in the non-League’s top tier. They’ve reached the play-offs in the last three seasons, losing out to Newport County and Gateshead in the semi-final play-offs before, last season, losing on penalties to Bristol Rovers in the Final. They currently sit in 3rd place in the table, five points clear of Tranmere Rovers and Gateshead, and look odds-on to make the play-offs once more. At home they have won ten, drawn five and lost two, scoring 38 goals and conceding 13. Just over a week ago they were held to a 0-0 draw at Blundell Park by Boreham Wood. Yesterday they were on the end of a 4-2 away defeat by FC Halifax Town.

Not surprisingly, Grimsby have a strong squad. Familiar names include keeper James McKeown, defenders Josh Gowling (ex-Kidderminster) and Toto Nsiala; midfielders Craig Disley and Nathan Arnold; and strikers Padraig Amond, Omar Bogle and Jon-Paul Pittman. Amond has already plundered 22 goals this season in the league.

Craig Disley will be suspended for this game but will be able to return for the Trophy tie.

Recent signings are 20 year-old winger Ryan Jennings, on loan from Wigan Athletic; midfielder Anthony Straker, part of the Shots’ Conference-winning side, subsequently with Southend and York City; Evan Horwood, an experienced left back, joining on loan from Northampton Town; Jon Nolan, the former Lincoln City midfielder; and Conor Henderson, signing from Crawley Town after a previous loan spell. Jack Mackreth and Scott Brown both left by mutual consent.


Blundell Park
DN35 7PY

Official website: www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk

By coach

The Cards Trust is not running a coach to this game but is running a coach to the FA Trophy Quarter-Final tie.

By car

Follow the signs for Grimsby on the M180. Continue on this road when it becomes the A180 towards Cleethorpes. This road runs right past the ground, which is next to the McDonalds Drive-thru.

By train

Nearest station: Cleethorpes. It’s not possible to get a train back to London after the game. On the way there, the best train would be the 16.03 from Kings Cross which, with a change at Doncaster, would get you to Cleethorpes station at 19.01. A cheaper alternative, and also giving you a bit more time, would be the 15.08, with changes at Newark North Gate and Habrough, arriving at 18.47

The station is just over 1 mile away from the stadium. Walking would take about 20 minutes. Public transport is available.


Adults: £18
Over 65s & Young Adults (15-18): £12
Under 14s: £6

Away fans sit in the Osmond Stand in the south side of the ground. Entry to this stand is in Constitutional Avenue, turnstiles 7-10.


Woking 1 Grimsby Town 2
7 March 2015

Woking’s play-off ambitions suffered a blow at the hands of promotion-chasing Grimsby Town, with goals from ex-Card Ollie Palmer and Jon-Paul Pittman clinching the game despite John Goddard’s late effort. The defeat left Woking in seventh position, four points behind Eastleigh.

The Cards, with Brian Saah making his debut, came into the game off back-to-back away wins at Lincoln City and Dartford but gifted two goals to their opponents, which gave them just too much to do to claw back an unlikely point.

Palmer, on loan at the Mariners from Mansfield Town, put the visitors ahead on 41 minutes, slamming home into an empty net after Craig Disley’s effort rebounded off a combination of Jake Cole and the post.

Pittman gave Grimsby a two-goal cushion in the 65th minute with a header after the home side switched off after conceding a free-kick. Woking rallied through Goddard’s late strike, as he latched onto a Scott Rendell header, but the Cards could not force an equaliser in the dying minutes.

Woking: Jake Cole, Chris Arthur, Brian Saah, James Clarke, Joey Jones, John Goddard, Mark Ricketts (Keiran Murtagh 57), Josh Payne, Kevin Betsy (Charles Banya 75), Scott Rendell, Yemi Obubade (Giuseppe Sole 75)

Unused subs: Andy Little, Adam Newton

Goals: Goddard (83)

Grimsby Town: James McKeown, Gregor Robertson, Shaun Pearson, Carl Magnay, Aristote Nsiala, Craig Clay, Nathan Arnold, Craig Disley, Jack Mackreth, Ollie Palmer (Danny Parslow 81), Jon-Paul Pittman (Ross Hannah 72)

Unused subs: Scott Brown, Christian Jolley, Paul Bignot

Goals: Palmer (41), Pittman (65)

Attendance: 2,653


As already mentioned, the Cards travel to Grimsby Town again next Saturday in the quarter-final of the FA Trophy. The Cards are then away to Molesey on Tuesday 1 March in the Surrey Senior Cup before entertaining Dover Athletic on Saturday 5 March in the Vanarama National League.

Come on, you Cards!

P.S. Don’t forget the Sportsman’s Dinner with Paul Merson on Friday 26 February: see details on the home page of the website.

Cards defeated at Grimsby

Ian Toft
12:04pm, Wed 24th Feb 2016
Grimsby Town 3 Woking 1

February 23rd 2016

Vanarama National League

Woking fell further behind in the race for the play-offs with defeat at Blundell Park. Giuseppe Sole’s powerful first half header was not enough for the Cards as it was eclipsed by Jon-Paul Pittman’s early opener and Padraig Amond’s well-taken double.

In a frenetic start to the match, Garry Hill’s side were immediately aware of the tough task facing them as they conceded from the first attack of the game, with Amond nodding back for Pittman to open the scoring. Sole replied midway through the first half after leaping above his marker to head home an arching cross from Bruno Andrade.

However Sole’s efforts were quickly undone by Amond, as two quick-fire finishes at the end of the first half put the Mariners firmly in control of the game. Despite no shortage of effort from the Cards in the second half, Grimsby held on to their two goal lead to take the three points and enhance their own play-off push.

The result sees Woking remain in 11th place but they now find themselves having gone six league games without a win at an important stage of the season. On Saturday, the team return to the same ground to resume battle with Grimsby Town in what should be a well-contested FA Trophy quarter-final.

Having suffered a frustrating defeat last weekend at Bromley, Garry Hill made wholesale changes to his team. Choosing to employ at 4-5-1 formation, only Jake Caprice, Matt Robinson and Bruno Andrade retained their places from the game at Hayes Lane. Nick Hamann started in goal for only the second time this season. New loan signing from Ipswich Town, nineteen year old Joe Robinson was given an immediate start by the manager and he was joined in the defence by Caprice, Joey Jones and Scott Griffiths. Godfrey Poku made a rare start and was accompanied in midfield by Andrade, Matt Robinson, Keiran Murtagh and Alex Smith. Giuseppe Sole was employed as a lone striker.

As the game kicked off under a clear, moonlit night on the banks of the Humber Estuary Woking, in all yellow, attacked the Pontoon Stand in the first half. However, they found themselves immediately under pressure from a confident Grimsby side.

Despite the absence of club captain Craig Disley through suspension, the Mariners immediately took possession and pushed forward. The Cards found themselves unable to settle into their own game plan and soon found themselves behind. In the third minute of the game a long, accurate cross from Grimsby’s right-back Richard Tait was nodded back by Amond into the path of Pittman who finished from close range.

A late crunching tackle by Monkhouse gave indication of the full-bloodied battle ahead for Godfrey Poku. The former Mansfield and Telford midfielder quickly rose to his feet, however, ran off the knock and began to take control of a congested and competitive midfield. His quick turn in the centre of the pitch set Andrade loose on the right. Unfortunately, the good position came to nothing when the Portuguese midfielder’s cross fell straight into James McKeown’s arms.

In the 11th minute Smith broke clear down the left and hit an early cross which was hacked away by Gowling. The resulting Cards corner was comfortably dealt with by the Mariners defence and set about a counter attack led by Arnold. Only good work by Murtagh and Poku prevented the through ball from reaching Amond.

Amond found himself clear for the Mariners shortly after and nodded on for Pittman. Hamann spread himself well to prevent the initial shot and though the ball fell loose, the Cards defence were able to clear the danger.

By the 15 minute period, Woking had managed to settle and carved out their first real opportunity. Clever footwork by Caprice led to a quick cross which was acrobatically cleared for a corner. From the resulting play, a deep cross from Smith eluded most until it was headed away from the goal-line by a relieved Grimsby defender.

Three minutes later Sole poked the ball forward to Smith who appeared to be brought down as he surged into the penalty box. Players from both sides appeared to stop and glance at referee Mr Salisbury but he remained unmoved.

Another Cards attack from a free kick led to Sole getting a shot away that could only be parried by McKeown. The resulting corner fell into the grateful 'keeper's arms.

Grimsby however remained a threat and reinforced this when a quick cross caught the Cards defence off guard. It took an unbalanced Joe Robinson to stick a leg out to deflect a low shot from distance. From the resulting corner, the ball bobbled around the penalty area and Gowling appealed for handball after his goal-bound shot was blocked on the line. His claims were waved away by Mr Salisbury.

The Cards took full advantage of this decision by equalising from their next attack in the 34th minute. A free kick from 25 yards out on the right was expertly crossed by Andrade and an alert Sole was able to rise above his marker to meet the ball first. His accurate header back across goal was expertly placed in the far corner and a fully stretched McKeown was beaten as the ball nestled in the far corner to the delight of the small band of travelling supporters housed at the opposite end in the Osmond Stand.

However, it was for only two minutes that the Cards could hold on to parity. A restless home crowd rallied the Mariners on and as they pushed forward a cross from the left wing by Horwood created gaps in the Cards defence. Amond found himself in plenty of space to powerfully head wide of an exposed Hamann to restore Town’s lead.

Galvanised by the goal, Grimsby pushed the Cards back again and doubled their lead soon after. From a throw-in down the left touch-line, a clever header from Pittman eluded the Cards defence and gave Amond sight of goal 20 yards out. His instinctive first time shot flew past Hamann without the goalkeeper having the chance to react.

As the home fans celebrated, the Cards pushed forward determined to get back into the game. They thought they had got one back when an Andrade free kick deflected into Sole’s path. A quick shot towards the bottom left corner was only prevented from finding its target by clipping the heel of the unaware Monkhouse, a relieved Mariners defence clearing the ball away.

As the first half entered stoppage time, the final chance of the half fell to the Cards. A Smith corner was headed on towards the far post by Murtagh. However it was cleared off the line by a Grimsby header meaning that the Cards would end the half two goals down.

Half-time: Grimsby Town 3-1 Woking

The second half began with Woking now attacking towards their own fans in the Osmond Stand. Despite no substitutions being made, it soon became evident that Grimsby had chosen to contain the Cards' threat and play the second half in a more counter-attacking fashion.

A relatively slow start after the interval meant that chances were at a premium as both sides contested a congested midfield, largely cancelling one another out.

Woking, with the onus on them to get back into the game, had the greater share of possession but were finding it difficult to carve out any clear-cut chances. Hopes were momentarily raised as a high, looping cross was delivered by Andrade from the right hand flank. Matt Robinson was able to beat Tait to the ball but unfortunately could not keep his goal-bound header under the bar.

Grimsby were also finding opportunities more difficult to create, largely due to the committed and tough tackling of Poku who effectively marshalled the Cards midfield. When the ball did get through to Grimsby’s forward line, Amond’s cross from the right side found its way into the path of Monkhouse. His attempt to pass the ball into goal was collected by Hamann at the second attempt.

In the 60th minute Hamann again kept Monkhouse at bay when the former Hartlepool player hit a fierce low shot from 20 yards out but the Woking stopper's quick reflexes allowed him to parry the ball around the post.

Woking’s own chances were by now at a premium. A hopeful effort by Sole from 40 yards out attempted to catch the goalkeeper out. However, McKeown had just about enough time to compose himself and gather the ball on his goal-line.

A series of late substitutions suggested that both sides might now be starting to cast an eye towards the FA Trophy match on Saturday as the pace further slowed.

A final chance fell to the Mariners when substitute Omar Bogle’s low diagonal shot could only be parried by Hamann into the path of an expectant Monkhouse. However, as he passed the ball into an empty net for what he thought would be Town’s fourth, the linesman raised his flag.

With Grimsby content to settle for the 3-1 score-line the match petered out, consigning Woking to another defeat in this challenging run of fixtures.

The Cards will now turn their attention to the long trip back to Humberside at the weekend as they try to secure a berth in the last four of the FA Trophy.

Woking: Nick Hamann, Jake Caprice, Joey Jones (Cameron Norman 80), Keiran Murtagh, Giuseppe Sole (Joe Quigley 76), Godfrey Poku, Matt Robinson, Bruno Andrade (Chris Arthur 67), Alex Smith, Scott Griffiths, Joe Robinson

Unused subs: Jake Cole, John Goddard

Goal: Sole (34)

Grimsby: James McKeown, Richard Tait, Shaun Pearson, Jon Nolan, Josh Gowling, Craig Clay, Andy Monkhouse, Jon-Paul Pittman (Omar Bogle 74), Nathan Arnold, Evan Horwood, Padraig Amond (Ryan Jennings 84)

Unused subs: Gregor Robertson, Aristote Nsiala, Conor Henderson

Goals: Pittman (4), Amond (37), (42)

Yellow Card: Jennings (88)

My MOTM: Godfrey Poku – in a rare outing for the tough-tackling midfielder, Poku would not be intimidated by a confident Grimsby midfield. He was strong in the challenge and helped to crowd out Town in their attempts to create chances. He was also the origin of many of the Cards' surges forward, looking to quickly dispatch balls to the wings to set up attacks.

Attendance: 2,874
Grimsby Town LINEUP
18Nick Hamann
2Jake Caprice
23Scott Griffiths
7Joey Jones ('81)
27Joe Robinson
12Godfrey Poku
8Keiran Murtagh
14Matt Robinson
15Bruno Andrade ('67)
20Alex Smith
10Giuseppe Sole ('76)
1Jake Cole
3Chris Arthur ('67)
26Cameron Norman ('81)
11John Goddard
19Joe Quigley ('76)

Shop Online

adidas 2022/23 Away Kit

adidas 2022/23 Away Kit

adidas Kitlocker Laithwaite Financial Services Boz's Fruit and Veg BCAS Jewson Lovetts Solicitors Mayford Motors MKJ Prince and Sons Rams FM Seymours Specsavers The National League Vanarama

Woking Football Club Limited
A company incorporated in England and Wales (company number: ‍03329172)
Registered office The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA

Click here to read our Data Protection Privacy Policy
Click here to read our Accessibility Statement