Dennis North
12:00am, Fri 9th Feb 2007
7th February 2007
U19?s Football Conference Youth Cup 3rd Round

In their second game in three days the Woking youngsters gave an assured and confident display to earn themselves a place in the League Cup semi finals away to Gravesend & Northfleet.

Woking went for the jugular from the very first whistle as Billy Hussey delivered a ball down the left to Dan Evans who drilled the ball across goal for Ross White to have a simple tap in at the far post.

Woking 1 Arlesey 0

From the restart Woking kept up the pressure and earned a corner down the left, the ball was floated in by David Shin and met firmly by the head of Joe Mcnerny, the Arlesey keeper dived full length to his left to push the ball away.

A nice move two minutes later witnessed David Shin crossing the ball to Delano Sam-Yorke from wide left, Delano helped the ball on to Ross White whose effort was blocked by the keeper, unfortunately for Ross he picked up a knock on his ankle that meant he could not continue and was substituted with Nuno Gourgel taking his place.

Arlesey began to regain some composure and started building attacks of their own and on seventeen minutes the Woking defence was caught square as the Arlesey striker powered in on goal however Dan Evans used his pace and determination to make up the ground to make a fabulous tackle to deny Arlesey a goal.

Woking continued to maintain the initiative and on thirty six minutes a nicely flighted ball from Scott Murphy found David Shin whose touch and first time effort crashed off the crossbar, but the Woking pressure was not going to be denied as two minutes later Scott Murphy again showed good vision to flight a free kick into the path of a late run from Nuno Gourgel who lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper and headed the ball home.

Woking 2 Arlesey 0.

Just before half time Kevin Maclaren put in a cross from the right to the head of David Shin, the ball fell to Scott Murphy with a chance to seal the game but his effort was skied over the crossbar.

Half time: Woking 2 Arlesey 0

Graham Baker calmed the troops at half time and prepared them for the inevitable second half onslaught from Arlesey.

Rather than sitting back and soaking the pressure Woking started the second half as they did the first; two minutes in and a quick exchange of passes involving Scott Murphy, David Shin and Dan Evans led to the ball being fed back to Scott Murphy whose effort went just wide.

The pressure was maintained and a couple of minutes later Jide Ogunbote curled a quality ball down the right flank to a diagonal run from Nuno Gourgel, Nuno surged past his full back and squared the ball to David Shin who passed the ball home.

Woking 3Arlesey 0.

Credit to Arlesey at no time did they give up, they raised their game at every stage in an attempt to get a foothold, however the Woking back four were up to the task as their resolute and no nonsense defending quelled the threat, they were also creative as time after time Jide Ogunbote and Dan Evans cleverly used the channels and the midfield running of David Shin, Billy Hussey and Kevin Maclaren to play themselves out of trouble.

On twenty minutes Delano Sam-Yorke came off being replaced by Pekan Samsdeen, then just three minutes later a very late tackle on Dan Evans meant he had to be replaced by Steve Casey.

With the game won Woking were happy to play out the last twenty minutes although opportunities were still being created.

Then with just four minutes remaining Arlesey thought they had grabbed a consolation goal but Ben Zatwardnicki threw himself full stretch to his left to keep his and the teams clean sheet intact.

Full time: Woking 3 Arlesey 0

This result should not be underestimated, Arlesey Town are a strong side having beaten Barnet and narrowly losing to Stevenage 1-0 this season.

Woking played with a determination that was not going to be denied in this game, the back five of Ben Zatwardnicki in goal plus Jide Ogunbote, Joe Mcnerny, Carlos Talbot and Dan Evans were solid and resolute, their pace and power was such that the Arlesey attacks were repelled at every attempt, the team defended from the front and even the forwards of Nuno Gourgel and Delano Sam-Yorke were constantly closing down the Arlesey back four whilst Kevin Maclaren, Scott Murphy, David Shin and Billy Hussey were combative and creative in midfield continually asking questions of the Arlesey defence.
Only on the pitch for a short while Ross White grabbed his goal whilst Pekan Samsdeen and Steve Casey both played their part when they came on.

Lots of quality performances in this game, almost every player on the park could make a claim for the man of the match award but for me two boys stood out for their consistency and quality of play: the joint man of the match award goes to -

MOTM: Dan Evans and Jide Ogunbote.

Squad: Ben Zatwardnicki, Dan Evans, Joe Mcnerny, Carlos Talbot, Jide Ogunbote, David Shin, Scott Murphy, Billy Hussey, Kevin Maclaren, Delano Sam-Yorke, Ross White.

Subs used: Nuno Gourgel, Pekan Samsdeen, Steve Casey.

Subs not used: Luke Baker, Jonny Targett.

Shop Online

adidas Third Shirt

adidas Third Shirt

adidas Tiro 21 Track Jacket (Red)

adidas Tiro 21 Track Jacket (Red)

adidas Squadra Training Shirt (Red)

adidas Squadra Training Shirt (Red)

Washed Look Tee (Pink)

Washed Look Tee (Pink)

adidas Kitlocker Laithwaite Financial Services Boz's Fruit and Veg BCAS Jewson Lovetts Solicitors Mayford Motors MKJ Prince and Sons Rams FM Seymours Specsavers The National League Vanarama

Woking Football Club Limited
A company incorporated in England and Wales (company number: ‍03329172)
Registered office The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA

Click here to read our Data Protection Privacy Policy
Click here to read our Accessibility Statement