Woking Football Club, The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA01483 772470
Lovetts Solicitors
Woking News
Woking News & Mail


Natalie Kaye - 9th April 2007

3.00pm on Monday 9 April 2007
Nationwide Conference

Woking pulled 7 points clear of the relegation zone following a hard fought victory against Kidderminster. The Cards went there to win and were duly rewarded with 3 points against a side who had previously only lost one of their last 8 games.

Graham Baker and Neil Smith made one change to the side that beat Grays on Saturday. Liam Marum came in up front for Daniel Webb to partner Craig McAllister.

On a bobbly pitch, Kidderminster had the better of the opening 20 minutes, penning the Cards into their own half. Woking were under the cosh from the onset and 2 minutes in James Constable had the first shot of the match. A Kiddy corner was launched over to the far post, Constable got there first and sidefooted a shot into the side netting.

A minute later, Jon Brady hit a cross in from the right after a slip from Macca. Michael Blackwood got in front of his marker, connected with the cross, but headed over from close range. Gavin Hurren volleyed wide not long afterwards and Constable had a half chance in the 10th minute. A pass inside the Woking defence was collected by the Kidderminster forward, who ran from an onside position. He turned onto his left foot and curled a shot in from just outside the area which Nick Gindre claimed at the second attempt.

Woking edged their way back into the match at the first half wore on. The Cards? first shot on target actually came from Kiddy defender Hurren. Craig beat the offside trap out wide on the left and his cross fell to Hurren, who for some reason shot straight at his own keeper. Scott Bevan made an instinctive save and the ball was cleared for a throw in.

The Woking goal arrived 5 minutes before the break. The Cards won a free kick after Liam Marum had been fouled. The set play was passed to Goma out wide on the wing and his cross fell to Marum in the middle. With bodies around him, Liam?s shot evaded everyone and nestled into the corner, giving Bevan no chance.

Half time: Kidderminster 0-1 Woking

The second half opened with Kidderminster looking for an equaliser and pressing the Cards into their own half. The defence stood firm however, with a couple of important blocks.

Nick Gindre also stood firm in the Woking goal. Three minutes into the second period Hurren hit a shot from the edge of the area, which Gindre touched onto the post, before bouncing back into the danger zone. Nick was up on his feet quickly to save the follow-up and Hutch cleared the ball to safety at the expense of a corner, which failed to trouble Gindre.

Kidderminster had a freekick in the 55th minute, which Jon Brady hit straight out of play, to cheers of delight from the Woking fans behind the goal! Liam Marum tried to lob Bevan at the other end, but saw hit shot nestle on the roof of the net.

Marum had another chance to add to his goal in the 58th minute. Liam used his pace to run at the Kiddy defence, escaped the attentions of his marker and tried to curl the ball into the bottom corner. Bevan got behind the shot and saved well to deny the forward another goal.

Simon Russell turned inside his marker but shot straight at Gindre midway through the second half and Brady stretched but failed to make any real contact with a Kidderminster cross. Rob Gier and Danny Bunce conceded a couple of corners, from which Hurren headed wide, but the Cards? defence continued to frustrate the home fans.

Adam Green collected a header from substitute Ian Selley in the 81st minute, ran at the Kidderminster defence, before turning inside and shooting from the edge of the area. Bevan, again, was on hand to get his body behind the ball and save.

Simon Russell and Gary Hay had a couple of half chances late on, but Woking held on for a vital 3 points.

There were scenes of elation at the final whistle from the Woking half of the stadium when the Cards? made it 6 points from 2 games. Everyone played their part in the win, but the defence was superb from start to finish as was Smudge in the middle, who never stopped running. Rob Gier got in a couple of important challenges and Tom Hutchinson was as commanding in the air as ever. The atmosphere and spirit at the club is fantastic, as everyone could see at the end of the game. And finally, I?ve never been to a ground where you can get a Chicken Chow Mein complete with ribs and prawn crackers!

Woking: Gindre, Gier, MacDonald, Hutchinson, Green, Lambu, Murray, Smith, Bunce (Selley), McAllister (Webb), Marum (Pearce)

Subs not used: Bittner, Sole

Goals: Marum 40

Att: 1479

My MOTM: Rob Gier
Social Media

Follow us on Woking FC on Facebook & Official Woking FC Twitter to get the latest updates from Woking Football Club direct to your News Feeds & Timelines!

News Archive
Advertise With Woking
Woking FC Newsletter
Join the Woking FC Newsletter
The Cards Trust
The Cards Trust Boost the Budget