Woking Football Club, The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA01483 772470
Laithwaite Financial Services
Woking News
Woking News & Mail

Young Cards progress in FA Youth Cup

Alan Barnes - 20th October 2015

Young Cards progress in FA Youth Cup Woking 4 Pagham 1
FA Youth Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
October 19th 2015

A fine evening at the LCS saw Woking progress to the next round of the FA Youth Cup.

In an entertaining match, Pagham were a match for the home side until the last few minutes, when two breakaway goals sealed the win for the young Cards.

The main danger from the visitors throughout the game came from long balls into their opponents' area but overall, the Woking defence was able to snuff out the threat to secure an important victory.

There were no clear openings for either side in the early part of the game. Jake Stanley for Pagham intercepted a pass on the edge of the Woking penalty box but the ball ran away from him and went behind for a goal kick.

The deadlock was eventually broken by the visitors when Jack Hammond hit a free kick from inside his own half which was headed behind for a corner. From this, Stanley met the ball well to direct a firm header into the top corner.

Having grabbed the lead, Pagham then defended in numbers and did not allow the home side any clear chances. However, just when it seemed that the home side would be going into the break trailing, they got just the break they needed when a cross fell conveniently to Tommy Stephens in the visitors' area and he calmly slotted home for the equaliser.

Half-time: Woking 1 Pagham 1

As the second period progressed, Woking gradually exerted a bit more control in the middle third of the pitch to put the visitors under some concerted pressure.

This pressure finally paid off when Connor Westley hit a firm free kick from just outside the Pagham penalty area. Ed Firlotte in the visitors' goal was unable to hold on, leaving Joe Stocchetti the simple task of heading home the loose ball to give Woking the lead.

Back came Pagham and a good cross from the right saw Stanley head just wide when well-placed. The young Cards were still not over the finishing line, however, and suffered another scare when a long free kick dropped over the head of Luke Terry in the home goal and into the back of the net, only for the referee to rule out the 'goal' for a foul.

With the minutes ticking by, Woking eventually regained some semblance of control and finally broke plucky Pagham's resistance as the visitors conceded two late breakaway goals to Shay Daniel and Declan Appau to give the full-time scoreline a somewhat flattering look for the home side.

Nevertheless, the young Cards deserved their victory and now progress to play AFC Wimbledon away in the First Round Proper of the competition on a date to be confirmed.

Woking: Luke Terry, Jake Treagus, Tommy Stephens, Dan Mahoney, George Brown, Joe Stocchetti, Miguel Anderson (Declan Appau 65), Shay Daniel, Connor Westney, Marlon Pinder, Max Benincasa (Matt Russell 75)

My Man of the Match: Tommy Stephens

Social Media

Follow us on Woking FC on Facebook & Official Woking FC Twitter to get the latest updates from Woking Football Club direct to your News Feeds & Timelines!

News Archive
Advertise With Woking
Woking FC Newsletter
Join the Woking FC Newsletter
The Cards Trust
The Cards Trust Boost the Budget