8:54am, Tue 19th Jan 2016
Plans are progressing for the Woking FC bikeathon from the Amex Stadium, Brighton to the Laithwaite Community Stadium on Saturday 13th February. Club Chairman Mike Smith has confirmed that he will be joining Gary Smith, the regular BBC Radio commentator on Cards games, and several others in cycling the full 50 miles. Others will be joining at different stages with the aim of raising funds as Woking enter the final stretch of the season
Why ‘The Last Push?’
Well, think back just 6 short months to the first half of the first game when Scott Rendell was sadly injured for the season. This was followed by a similar season long injury to Ismail Yakubu and other serious setbacks for Mark Ricketts, Giuseppe Sole, Chris Arthur and Keiran Murtagh. Since then, as a club we have rallied together fantastically and a small squad of players have worked wonders to stand just outside the play offs and still in the FA Trophy. Gary Smith wanted to do something to help the club and had the idea of a Brighton to Woking bikeathon with fans and their friends looking to support the club. The first half of the season was a lot of hard work as we pulled together and the ride has been dubbed ‘The Last Push’ to reflect that we are going to keep it going into the final, decisive stretch of the season. We know that Garry, Steve and the players won’t back off and we want to do what we can to help as we all push for the line.
How will it work?
The riders will leave the Amex at about 6.30 am and head up to Woking - broadly following the A281 but probably with a couple of scenic detours. Riders will join for different stages with the final stage leaving the car park at Shalford Park, Guildford at 12 noon. There will be a final gathering point near the ground so all riders can arrive in unison. The whole ride is for adults although parents and children can join from Guildford. Obviously parents are responsible for their families and everyone participates at their own risk - we take no responsibility for individual riders of any age.
Around 1.15 there will be a reception party at the ground to welcome all the riders.
How do I get involved?
To register and ask any questions re the ride please email Gary Smith email@example.com ; the closing date for registrations is 30th January after the Barrow game
How can I support the Bikeathon riders?
- To be the named sponsor of the bikeathon with profile in club, radio and press publicity please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be the named sponsor of a particular rider ( minimum £50) with profile in match day programmes and on the day please email email@example.com
- Each rider will be raising their own sponsorship backing - so offer to sponsor a rider per mile or for the full 50 miles
- You can give directly to the Bikeathon through
- A direct donation to the club by cheque ( payable Woking FC and making clear its for the ride) or online transfer to the club’s direct Bikeathon account
Woking FC Ltd, 40-47-08, account 71796550
- A donation to Gary Smith’s Just giving account www.wokingfc.co.uk/garysmith ( a moderate fee will be deducted by Just Giving so direct donation is preferable)
- On the 13th February the Cards Trust will be organising a Bikeathon bucket collection for contributions on the day. To offer to shake a bucket please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Anything unclear or further questions? Please email email@example.com
Thank you for your support.