Woking Football Club, The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA01483 772470
Vail Williams
Woking News
Woking News & Mail


Brian Caffarey - 13th January 2009

Woking 2 Forest Green Rovers 2

(Forest Green won 5-4 on penalties)

Setanta Shield Quarter-Final

13 January 2009

An enthralling game ended in disappointment for the Cards in a penalty shoot-out defeat at Kingfield this evening. What was even more galling for Phil Gilchrist and his side was that they led twice and also would have won the penalty shoot-out if Goma Lambu had not put his kick wide at the death.

Woking took the lead in the 19th minute when Liam Marum strode through to plant a crisp shot past the Rovers keeper from just inside the box. Rovers? approach play was a delight to watch but they lacked a decisive cutting edge and Domoraud had an excellent chance to double the Cards? lead before half-time.

Rovers continued to have more of the play in the second half but were kept at bay by a hard-working Woking defence and midfield. But the defence was finally breached in the 82nd minute when a neat move down the Woking left saw the ball centred to Andy Mangan, who lashed home from close range.

Woking quickly regained the lead in extra time when substitute Joel Ledgister outpaced the defender down the Woking left and put over an excellent near post cross, which another substitute, Delano Sam-Yorke, met at speed to crash home.

Matt Pattison missed a great chance to seal the tie before Rovers bounced back once more before the end of the first period of extra time. The ball ricocheted nicely to Mangan, who found himself with only Eastwood to beat to make it 2-2.

Woking went first on the penalties and Danny Bunce, Wilfried Domoraud, Joel Ledgister and Joe Magunda all converted emphatically. Rovers? Jonathan Smith then put his kick wide to give Woking a 4-3 lead in the penalty shoot-out. Up stepped a tired-looking Goma Lambu, who did exactly the same. Jerry Gill made it 4-4 for Rovers. Matt Pattison attempted to place his kick but the Rovers keeper guessed the right way and saved. Conal Platt then fired home to hand the tie to Rovers to the delight of their fans and his team mates.

A full report will appear in the morning.

Social Media

Follow us on Woking FC on Facebook & Official Woking FC Twitter to get the latest updates from Woking Football Club direct to your News Feeds & Timelines!

News Archive
Advertise With Woking
Woking FC Newsletter
Join the Woking FC Newsletter
The Cards Trust
The Cards Trust Boost the Budget