Woking Football Club, The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA01483 772470
Lovetts Solicitors
Woking News
Woking News & Mail

Dramatic late win for Young Cards

Alan Barnes - 7th October 2015

Dramatic late win for Young Cards Woking 4 Whitehawk 3 (after extra time)
FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
October 6th 2015

The Laithwaite Community Stadium was in excellent condition for this encounter despite steady rain for much of the day.

There was drama throughout this near 130 minute contest, with both sides on top at different stages of the match.

Whitehawk started on the front foot and in Lucas Rodrigues they had the night’s best player. The visitors forced several early corners and there were a few scrambles around the Woking penalty area with Rodrigues linking play well and making several mazy runs. One such run was halted by George Brown, Woking's man of the match, just as the Whitehawk playmaker was about to put Connor Martin in on goal. The Young Cards held firm, however, in a goalless first half.

Half-time: Woking 0 Whitehawk 0

The first chance of the second period fell to Woking and brought the opening goal.
A loose ball on the edge of the box was swept in by Marlon Pinder, much to the delight of his team mates.

The visitors were soon back in the contest, however, as Rodrigues took a free kick twenty yards out and curled it beyond the wall into the net.

Five minutes later, Whitehawk took the lead as Martin took another free kick from the opposite side and repeated the trick.

Woking were now pushing forward in search of a second and fortunately it came in the dying embers of the game as a long range effort bounced of the bar for Tom Stevens to tap in.

Full-time: Woking 2 Whitehawk 2

Extra time was then played with both teams going all out for a winner.
Just before the break, Miquel Anderson picked up a clearance in his own half.
He ran deep into opposition territory before putting in a cross that was swept home by Pinder to put Woking ahead for the second time.

The second period of extra time was running out when the visitors grabbed a third,
Martin heading in a cross at the far post.

The match seemed to be destined for penalties but with seconds remaining, a Woking shot hit the bar leaving Declan Addam to head in the rebound to finally clinch victory for the hosts by the skin of their teeth.

In an unsavoury ending, mayhem ensued for over five minutes as both sets of players and coaches became involved in a fracas on the touchline. The referee kept his cool before sending off three players, two from Woking and one from Whitehawk. Fortunately, the final minute or so was played out in relative calm.

Woking will be at home to Slough Town or Pagham in the next round.

My Woking man of the Match - George Brown
Social Media

Follow us on Woking FC on Facebook & Official Woking FC Twitter to get the latest updates from Woking Football Club direct to your News Feeds & Timelines!

News Archive
Advertise With Woking
Woking FC Newsletter
Join the Woking FC Newsletter
The Cards Trust
The Cards Trust Boost the Budget