Woking Football Club, The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA01483 772470
Vail Williams
Woking News
Woking News & Mail


Natalie Kaye - 1st April 2007

3.00pm on Saturday 31 March 2007
Nationwide Conference

A new era rolled in with the clouds at Morecambe Bay on Saturday. Woking travelled to the North West but were unable to get anything out of the game and dropped one place to 15th.

Caretaker-manager Graham Baker and player-coach Neil Smith made one change from the 1-1 draw with Crawley. Danny Bunce came in on the left for Adam Green. Smudge also passed on the captain?s armband to defender Tom Hutchinson.

The match kicked off in the presence of a swirling wind which seemed to knock people off their feet at one end and be perfectly still at the other. Morecambe, probably fully used to playing in this, had the better of possession in the early exchanges with a couple of successive corners.

The home side opened the scoring in the 15th minute when on loan Blackpool striker Matthew Blinkhorn scored his 4th goal in as many games. Blinkhorn got in behind the Woking defence, Curtis Osano tried to get back to cover, but the Morecambe striker slotted the ball beyond Nick Gindre.

Morecambe almost made it 2-0 three minutes later. Woking conceded a corner which resulted in a shot by captain Jim Bentley. His effort was hacked off the line by Danny Bunce for another corner, which was subsequently cleared. Woking hit back at the other end with a good move that ended in a shot by Gez. A great ball over the top by Smudge was met by Daniel Webb who kept in an on side position on the wing. His looping cross was helped on by Craig McAllister to Gez. Sole?s first time volley was fiercely hit but blocked by the Shrimps defence.

Gez had a second chance a couple of minutes later. Webby was fouled on the edge of the area; Gez stepped up and curled the free kick around the wall. Steven Drench stood firm in the Morecambe goal and palmed away the shot with an excellent save. The Cards also had a shout for hand ball not long afterwards. Webb won another free kick, which Tom headed back into the danger zone. There were shouts from the Woking frontmen for hand ball but referee Mr Halliday waved away their appeals.

Morecambe had a couple of chances before the interval. Gindre palmed away a header from Garry Thompson, which was followed up by a long range shot. Nick again was on hand to claim. The second chance arrived courtesy of Wayne Curtis. Curtis outmuscled Gez and tried to chip the onrushing Gindre, but saw his effort bounce just wide.

Nick Gindre made a great save not long afterwards from the same man. Curtis found himself through on Nick with no offside given. The Woking keeper came out to make a great save with his hand to deny the winger.

Half time: Morecambe 1-0 Woking

Three minutes into the second half Morecambe made it 2-0. Matthew Blinkhorn scored his second of the day. He met a ball over the top and lobbed the unfortunate Gindre.

Woking then took the game to the hosts. A free kick from deep was missed by the Morecambe defence. Craig headed towards goal, ?keeper Drench tried to claim, but found the ball kicked clear from his hands.

Goma Lambu was bought on at this time for Danny Bunce, taking Giuseppe Sole?s place on the right. Gez took Danny?s position on the left of midfield. Goma immediately got stuck in, and it was his cross that was headed over by Craig McAllister, after he got in front of his marker.

Karl Murray hit a shot over from 20 yards and David McNiven curled an effort wide at the other end. Morecambe also hit the Cards on the counter attack in the 65th minute. A pass into Garry Hunter saw the midfielder free inside the Woking area. Nick Gindre rushed out to make an important save and deny Morecambe a third.

Smudge shot over from just outside the area after some neat passing around the Shrimps box and Webb turned and shot over when in space. A third chance in 10 minutes arrived when Karl crossed an excellent ball deep into the far post. His cross was headed back to Jason Pearce, whose downward header beat ?keeper Drench but sailed just wide of the left hand post.

Woking bought on Liam Marum for Gez and Ollie Berquez for Smudge for the remaining 12 minutes. Marum joined McAllister and Webb as the Cards went three up front.

Not long afterwards Gindre again came out to save at the feet of Curtis, and the Cards turned his save into a counter attack. Liam Marum got around the Morecambe ?keeper and crossed in for Karl in the middle. The Morecambe defence somehow managed to deny Karl a clear shot and bundled the ball out for a corner.

A couple more corners bought headers from Tom Hutchinson and Gary MacDonald but the Shrimps cleared both attempts and held on for the 3 points.

Woking: Gindre, Osano, MacDonald, Hutchinson, Pearce, Sole (Marum), Murray, Smith (Berquez), Bunce (Lambu), McAllister, Webb

Subs not used: Bittner, Barrett, Green

Att: 1466

My MOTM: Tom Hutchinson
Social Media

Follow us on Woking FC on Facebook & Official Woking FC Twitter to get the latest updates from Woking Football Club direct to your News Feeds & Timelines!

News Archive
Advertise With Woking
Woking FC Newsletter
Join the Woking FC Newsletter
The Cards Trust
The Cards Trust Boost the Budget